Tuesday, March 30, 2010




Paper! We take it so for granted. A thick sheaf of paper stands on my printer. While I know it's important to conserve its use and 'save those trees' too much is wasted. Lying on my desk in front of the printer is a mere scrap, barely eight inches by five, yellowed with age. It holds two letters, both written Feb. 2, 1890. One side is for Sister Gertie and the other for Cousin Bertha. The letter to Gertie is written both directions on the paper.

Cousin Bertha, my great-aunt, lived upstairs and helped me develop my pack rat instincts. She is pictured to the right.

People in the years before 1900 certainly knew how to save their paper! This is one of the things we could learn from them.

God instructed Adam to care for the earth, including plants and animals. It seems that our ancestors were much better stewards of this beautiful planet than our wasteful generation.

4 comments:

  1. I worked for a time in the provincial archives, and I remember deciphering and cataloguing old letters like that. Not only did the people write in two directions, their writing was tiny!

    Pack rats have lots of interesting tidbits in their stashes -- I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I found your blog. What a precious collection you have. I will be reading as you keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your link at InScribe, so I was able to get in. You've got the promise of a wonderful blog... we'll be sure to check in often.

    All the best for continued success. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great aunt in England who used to send letters on air mail forms. She would fill up the space then start up the sides and it was, at times, hard to follow what she was saying.

    I love old things and old photos, so I find your blog extra special. Keep up the good work. God bless.

    ReplyDelete