Sunday, April 18, 2010

Education
These two "maiden ladies", both my grand-aunts, lived in the town where I grew up. The smaller of the two is Bertha Downen, featured in my first blog post, and I knew her very well. The taller lady, May Reager, passed away when I was three and I only know her from the many stories I've heard. This is one of my favorite pictures, taken while Bertha fastened May's gloves for her, and showing their difference in height.
Aunt May was a teacher, and so am I. It is interesting to reflect on the changes in educational methods that have occured since her time. She would find it difficult to recognize the modern classroom, and I'm not sure she would be pleased with all of the changes.
May began her teaching career in 1895 and taught in rural school until 1912 when she transferred to the town of Orland. She worked there until 1939, retiring at 69 years of age. I've known many of her students. All spoke of her with love, and some with humor. She expected, and received, good discipline and respect from all of the children in her care. Her height may have given her an advantage, as she was over six feet tall and quite impressive in appearance. She cared deeply for all her charges and often purchased clothing, or shoes for those in need.
One of her methods of correction would not be allowed today's classroom. She kept an empty hot water bottle in her bottom drawer. It was used sparingly, but well remembered. If a mischievous pupil created a disturbance, she would bring out the bottle, put the naughty child across her lap and apply a few whacks to his backside. This didn't cause injury, but made enough noise to leave a lasting impression.
When May retired, her school was re-named, The May L. Reager Building. I returned, as a young teacher, to my hometown and taught 2nd grade in that facility.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful collection of pictures. I wish I had the same kind of information left to me of my family's history, but unfortunately I don't. I have researched my family tree and have found out some things that are interesting, but I wish I had pictures to go along with them! You are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete